Thursday, November 29, 2007

Why Join a Church? Revisited

I had wanted to post some of my thoughts regarding Scott Aniol's post, Why Join a Church?, on his blog Religious Affections.

However, due to time constraints I have not. Suffice to say it is an excellent post and should be read by Christians who do not belong to a local church and Christians who belong, but do not attend and regularly support a local church.

He ends with a gem of a quote from Spurgeon speaking of those who refuse to join a church:

"I know there are some who say, “Well, I have given myself to the Lord, but I do not intend to give myself to any church.” Now, why not? “Because I can be a Christian without it.”
Are you quite clear about that? You can be as good a Christian by disobedience to your Lord’s command as by being obedient? There is a brick. What is it made for? To help build a house. It is of no use for that brick to tell you that it is just as good a brick while it is kicking about on the ground as it would be in the house. It is a good-for-nothing brick. So you rolling-stone Christians, I do not believe that you are answering your purpose. You are living contrary to the life which Christ would have you live, and you are much to blame for the injury you do” (Spurgeon at His Best, 33–34)."

May I be a brick to the glory of God.

RC

No comments: