Friday, November 30, 2007

Bible Before Blogdom

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I hope Doug Smith the proprietor of Gazing at Glory feels that way, because I lifted this feature straight from his blog. He chose to entitle the feature on his blog, "Have you read your Bible before you read your Blogs?" I chose "Bible Before Blogdom", because of the cool alliteration. Also it fits better on the sidebar. It seemed like a wonderful feature and I hope it causes some blog readers, including myself, to set aside the time to read the Bible. I chose the plan incorporated by the ESV site. It uses a modified version of Robert Murray M'Cheyne's reading plan and offers audio as well.

D.A. Carson has penned a two volume set of books. They are entitled "For the Love of God." I recommend them as a daily devotional while reading through the Bible. They follow M'Cheyne's reading plan. The first volume comments on the first two daily readings entitled family readings and the second volume comments on the last two daily readings entitled private. It should be noted that the reading plan I am using on this blog is adapted from M'Cheyne's reading plan so it varies from the original plan, as well as, Carson's books.



May this feature cause me, as well as others, to spend daily devotional time reading our Bibles so that we grow in spiritual maturity and better glorify God.

RC

9 comments:

Glorygazer said...

I've found Carson's set helpful as well (only picked it up a few months ago, but it's helping in consistency - amazing how we can be prone to hearing from others before hearing from our God!). Glad you found a helpful idea for your blog!

J Bell said...

I found your blog thru a post on the ESV blog. I'm wondering how you change the date each day for the link under "Bible Before Blogdom"? Surely you do not manually change it every day. I'd love to do something like this but lack the know how. Would you mind helping me?

RC said...

Actually I do manually change it. I believe there is a better way. You can probably link to a feed that will do it. I will let you know as soon as I figure it out. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you will come back to visit.

RC

RC said...

I would like to visit your blog, JB. Right now I am unable to locate you because your profile is not available. If you are on blogger and adjust your profile so that others can see it I would be able to visit your site by clicking on your initials.

RC

J Bell said...

Sorry RC, I am not on Blogger. I use WordPress on my own webspace. It's at http://www.thebellsite.com My wife and I are missionaries in Taiwan and we use the blog to try and stay connected to friends and family back in Texas.

RC said...

Wow that is awesome. Let me know if you want your site to show up in my comment line if not I will delete it. What denomination are you affiliated with? I am PCA.

RC

J Bell said...

We serve with the International Mission Board (IMB), the mission sending agency of the Southern Baptist Convention.
You can do whatever you think is best with the comments. Taiwan doesn't have the same security issues as some of the other countries in the region.

J Bell said...

RC,
I think I found a link that will take you to the current day without you having to hard code the link daily. Watch this link for a few days and see if it will change.
http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/devotions/one.year.tract/

RC said...

I will try it out. Thanks.